2012 Northeastern United States and Atlantic Provinces of Canada Trip (planned)
(This page is intended to describe my upcoming trip. Although I generally only post my own pictures on my blog, since I have not yet been to most of these places, I cannot have taken pictures there. Therefore, all images on this page, unless otherwise noted, are courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.)
I have been to parts of this region quite a few times: in 2002 we went to Toronto and stopped at Niagara Falls, in the fall of 2005 we took a trip to New England and visited Acadia National Park, the White Mountains, and even Walden Pond, not to mention some short trips to places like New York City.
But I’ve always wanted to take a “big loop” trip to round up New England and the Atlantic Provinces of Canada.
Finally, now, the time seems to be right and the trip is imminent.On this trip, I am thinking of doing something new — I will try to update my blog daily to share my experience with you!
I use this page as a “dashboard” for my planning, and as a starting point of my live blog updates of my trip. If you are interested in sharing this experience with me, all you need to do is bookmark this page, or subscribe to the RSS feed of my blog, and all future updates will follow.
Meanwhile, if you read Chinese, and want to share my experience with another of my long driving trips, you can purchase a copy of my book, A Cross-Country Summer, either from Amazon, or from my website.
- Day 1: NOVA -> Boston
- Day 2: Boston
- Day 3: Boston -> Cape Cod (see links here and here)
- Day 4: Cape Cod
- Day 5: Cape Cod
- Day 6: Cape Cod -> Boston
- Day 7: Boston -> Ellsworth, ME
- Day 8: Acadia National Park
- Day 9: Ellsworth, ME -> St. John/Fundy National Park
- Day 10: Fundy National Park (see links here and here)
- Day 11: St. John/Fundy -> Prince Edward Island.
- Day 12: Prince Edward Is. -> Halifax
- Day 13: Halifax -> Kouchibouguac NP (see links here and here)/Miramichi
- Day 14: Kouchibouguac NP/Miramichi -> Parc National Forillon/Gaspe
- Day 15: Gaspe -> Quebec
- Day 16: Quebec
- Day 17: Quebec -> Montreal
- Day 18: Montreal
- Day 19: Montreal -> Upper state NY or NYC
- Day 20: Upper State NY or NYC
- Day 21: Upper State NY or NYC -> NOVA
Cape Code will be our first “base”, and we intend to fully explore it!
We actually have been to Acadia National Park before, but I don’t mind a revisit!
Fundy National Park will be the first Canadian national park we will visit:
and Bay of Fundy is especially famous for its dramatic tides:
How could you miss this?
What about this?
So this choice is between the two (Finger Lakes v. NYC) shown below (or we may scrap this if we spend more time in Canada):